Here are some examples of how you might segment your list:
- People who like a particular product or category (if you sell pet food, segment the list by dog lovers and by cat lovers)
- Job description
- Geographic segmentation
- Based on topics they like, as seen by the type of ebooks they downloaded or web pages they visited
- By engagement metrics (how many pages they visit and how long they stay on the site after clicking from past emails)
- Frequent buyers
- Big spenders
- Social media fans
- Those who share your emails with their networks
- By stage in the buying cycle
Even a small amount of segmentation can significantly increase your email click-through rates, subscriber retention rate, and ROI.
How do you segment your email lists? Let us know in the comments!