Case Study Background
Rock Bottom Golf is a discounter of golf clubs and golf accessories, and at the time was No. 308 in the Internet Retailer Top 500. Before working with McDougall Interactive, they had not done any significant SEO but had a large following and customer base. They knew they needed to improve their search engine visibility and hired McDougall to handle the technical SEO and link building.
Ecommerce SEO Strategy
Given the website’s many technical issues with URL, architecture, categorization, and interlinking, McDougall started with a comprehensive tech SEO audit. After finding several areas to improve, they worked on better categorization, original content, and intensive link building using a variety of techniques, including link bait and PR.
- On-page SEO edits
- Internal linking optimization
- Writing category page text in “Scratch the Caveman”’s voice
- Link building
- Online public relations
- Designed and created entertaining Flash video game for user engagement: http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/scratch-the-cavemans-driving-range-video-game.html
- Initial results included number-one rankings for “cheap golf clubs” and “discount golf clubs,” etc., as well as multiple long tail searches and product/brand names.
- After 2 years, Rock Bottom Golf ranked #3 in Google for “golf clubs” – a very high traffic and highly competitive term.
- Sales attributed to search engine optimization grew more than 100%.
Paraphrased email from Brian Schwank of Rock Bottom Golf: “John, now that we hit #3 in Google for Golf Clubs, the shopping cart is ringing off the hook! Yahoo!!”
Internetretailer.com then picked up on what McDougall did and wrote this unsolicited story on them.
And Rock Bottom Golfed bragged about McDougall improving their SEO as well with the following:
Click here to learn about McDougall’s search engine optimization services.